www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 14, 2006

My visit to Mikimoto Pearl Island Co., Ltd (Japan)

In November of last year, I had the opportunity to visit Mikimoto Pearl Island Co., Ltd in Toba, Mie Prefecture. I was able to walk around and rediscover the beauty of pearls. I say rediscover because I had visited this area several years earlier.

Mikimoto Pearl Island, Toba

When I hear the word Mikimoto™, I immediately think of lovely round cultured pearls. I think that pearls are such a beautiful part of nature.

Pearl Diving

At Mikimoto Pearl Island, there are women divers, who in Japanese are called Ama. The costume the Ama wear is white. They do a demonstration about how they dive for the pearls at different times during the day.

Pearl Diver with wooden floating tub

On the day that I was there, the weather was sunny and I was able to take a couple memorable photos of the diving demonstration. The Ama’s characteristic behavior is to whistle into the wooden floating tub after each dive.

Pearl Diver whistling into the wooden tub

A visit to the museum did complete my day’s visit. Of course, I was able to enjoy some pearl shopping, too.

Now, I can only hope and dream that someday I will be another chance to return for another visit.

more later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home